The Power of Light brings to life beloved children’s books: Patricia Polacco’s The Trees of the Dancing Goats and Eric A. Kimmel’s When Mindy saved Hanukkah. A celebration of cultural traditions and literacy, this performance celebrates the human qualities that bring light into the darkness of winter. Actors perform stories in an interactive production that uses simple staging to challenge viewers’ imaginations. Jewish Theatre Collaborative partners with PJ Library to bring this program to Portland audiences.
The Trees of the Dancing Goats By Patricia Polacco – The family farms of rural Michigan are all preparing for Christmas – except for Trisha, who is helping her grandparents prepare a traditional Russian Hanukkah. When their neighbors come down with scarlet fever, it’s up to Trisha’s whole family to help them celebrate Christmas – a very unique Christmas indeed. Patricia Polacco’s story captures the joy of the holiday season and its opportunity to unite community in celebration of friendship, family, and love.
When Mindy Saved Hanukkah By Eric A. Kimmel – It’s right before Hanukkah and the Klein family waits in their home behind the walls of the Eldridge Street Synagogue. Papa is late coming back with the candle they need to light the menorah. When Papa finally stumbles in, injured and candle-less, they learn the synagogue has gotten a new cat, terrible as King Antiochus of Maccabee legend. Can young Mindy brave the danger and save Hanukkah? Eric A. Kimmel’s intergenerational story of how one small family can overcome grave danger brings the Hanukkah story to life for our next generation of small ones.
About Jewish Theatre Collaborative: (JTC) engages people in Jewish Stories from the past and present, exploring values, traditions and history in order to better comprehend the diversity of contemporary human experience. Our performances provide an ideal environment for exploration, awakening curiosity, opening minds, and challenging stereotypes.
About PJ (Pajama) Library: The PJ Library provides FREE Jewish-content bedtime books and music on a monthly basis to children six months-six years in families with at least one Jewish parent living in the Portland Metro Area. PJ Library families include interfaith, unaffiliated and those already involved but seeking new ways to explore and deepen their Jewish connections.
Sunday, December 18, 2011 – 10:30 AM & 1:00 PM – Miracle Theatre 525 SE Stark – Tickets: Adults $10, Children $5. Tickets online http://www.jewishtheatrecollaborative.org
Monday, December 19, 2011 – 4:00 PM – Mittleman Jewish Community Center – Contact the MJCC for tickets: 503-244-0111
Join JTC’s mailing list to hear about upcoming productions http://www.jewishtheatrecollaborative.org
We are so excited to be giving away a family four packs of tickets to see Jewish Theatre Collaborative’s performance of The Power of Light! Details on entering below. TO ENTER:
Simply leave a comment below telling us why you would love to share this experience with your family, why you love the JTC or PDX Kids Calendar! We do read all the comments and, though it doesn’t effect the random choice of the winner, entertaining comments are very much appreciated!
Want Extra Entries?
Really want to win? Here are a few ways to get extra entries? Do any (or all) of the following and let us know by leaving a separate comment below. You will get one additional entry for each separate comment about the following:
- Sign up for our weekly newsletters (current subscribers can simply comment here that you are a subscriber) then leave a comment here.
- Sign up for the JTC Mailing List (current subscribers can simply comment here that you are a subscriber) then leave a comment here.
- ‘Like’ PDX Kids Calendar on Facebook then comment here (current fans can simply comment here that you are a fan) You do not need to be fan to enter this contest, however, and Facebook in no way endorses, supports, or is associated with this giveaway.
- Join the Jewish Theatre Collaborative group on Facebook then comment here (current fans can simply comment here that you are a member) You do not need to be fan to enter this contest, however, and Facebook in no way endorses, supports, or is associated with this giveaway.
- Post a link on YOUR Facebook wall linking to our page (simply update your status with something like “Have you seen @PDX Kids Calendar? It’s the best place to find stuff to do with the kiddos and they are doing an amazing giveaway this week … “). When you enter the “@” sign and start typing our name a drop down box will appear and you can click our name to create a link to our page. PLEASE NOTE: You do have to be our “fan” on FB for this to work … then be sure to leave a comment here.
- Follow PDX Kids Calendar on Twitter then leave a comment here.
- Tweet about this giveaway then leave a comment here.
- Tell your friends about the giveaway and then leave a comment here.
Only comments on this post will be counted (not those made on Facebook or Twitter). Winner drawn at random. Giveaway begins on Sunday December 11, 2011 and ends 11:59 PM PST on Wednesday December 14, 2011. Only entries with valid emails will be counted. IF YOU REGISTER YOUR COMMENT THROUGH FACEBOOK, YAHOO, TWITTER ETC PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS VISIBLE ON YOUR PROFILE! Best way to guarantee we can contact you if you win is to create a “Disqus” account. Entries valid within the US only.
Thanks and good luck!
**PLEASE NOTE** Commenting feature may not available on some phones. To enter on your iPad you must create a Disqus account to post. If you have any trouble commenting/entering, you can send your submissions to comments(at)pdxkidscalendar.com and they will be input by us.