This winter Tears of Joy Puppet Theatre presents the magical adventure tale, “Ride the Red Mare” based on Ursula K Le Guin’s rare children’s book “A Ride on the Red Mare’s Back.” Enjoy a tale of magic, bravery, and trolls, then meet the author herself, Ursula K Le Guin, on opening night, December 16th. Le Guin will be making a special guest appearance and ticket holder signing. Limited release CDs of Ursula K Le Guin reading “A Ride on the Red Mare’s Back” and featuring music by Third Angle New Music Ensemble will be available for purchase.
“Ride the Red Mare,” adapted and directed by Tears of Joy’s Artistic Director, Nancy Aldrich, ignites the bravery in us all. A brave girl sets out through the snowy woods to rescue her little brother from the trolls. She’s helped by her Dala horse, a small wooden toy, that is transformed into a powerful mare to carry her through the wintery darkness. Accompanied by an elegant musical score by Third Angle New Music Ensemble, this play is a magical holiday treat. Plus, arrive ½ hour early to Saturday and Sunday performances and make your own puppet Dala horse!
Performance dates at Portland Center for the Performing Arts
Dolores Winningstad Theatre, 1111 SW Broadway, Portland OR
December 16th, 7:30pm; December 17th, 11:00am; December 18th, 2:00 and 4:00pm
We are giving one lucky reader a family four pack of tickets to the “Ride the Red Mare” performance of their choice! Details for entering below.
Simply leave a comment below telling us about one of yours (or your child’s) brave moments, why the story of “Ride the Red Mare” is a favorite or why you love and adore Tears of Joy Theatre, or us here at PDX Kids Calendar! We do read all the comments and, though it doesn’t effect the random choice of the winner, entertaining, complimentary or appreciative comments are very much appreciated!
Want Extra Entries?
Really want to win? Here are a few ways to get extra entries? Do any (or all) of the following and let us know by leaving a separate comment below. You will get one additional entry for each separate comment about the following:
- Sign up for our weekly newsletters (current subscribers can simply comment here that you are a subscriber)
- ‘Like’ PDX Kids Calendar on Facebook then comment here (current fans can simply comment here that you are a fan) (You do not need to be fan to enter this contest, however, and Facebook in no way endorses, supports, or is associated with this giveaway.)
- ‘Like’ Tears of Joy Theatre on Facebook then comment here (current fans can simply comment here that you are a fan) (You do not need to be fan to enter this contest, however, and Facebook in no way endorses, supports, or is associated with this giveaway.)
- Post a link on YOUR Facebook wall linking to our page (simply update your status with something like “Have you seen @PDX Kids Calendar? It’s the best place to find stuff to do with the kiddos and they are doing an amazing giveaway this week … “). When you enter the “@” sign and start typing our name a drop down box will appear and you can click our name to create a link to our page. PLEASE NOTE: -You do have to be our “fan” on FB for this to work … then be sure to leave a comment here.
- Follow PDX Kids Calendar on Twitter then leave a comment here.
- Follow Tears of Joy Theatre on Twitter then leave a comment here.
- Tweet about this giveaway then leave a comment here.
- Tell your friends about the giveaway and then leave a comment here.
Only comments on this post will be counted (not those made on Facebook or Twitter). Winner drawn at random. Giveaway begins on Friday December 2, 2011 and ends 11:59 PM PST on Wednesday December 7, 2011. Only entries with valid emails will be counted. IF YOU REGISTER YOUR COMMENT THROUGH FACEBOOK, YAHOO, TWITTER ETC PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS VISIBLE ON YOUR PROFILE! Best way to guarantee we can contact you if you win is to create a “Disqus” account. Entries valid within the US only.
Thanks and good luck!
**PLEASE NOTE** Commenting feature may not available on some phones. If you have any trouble commenting/entering, you can send your submissions to comments(at)pdxkidscalendar.com and they will be input by us.
Latest posts by Tabitha Rhodes (see all)
- One Little Girl’s Vote to Name the new Portland Bridge – February 16, 2014
- Visit the Metro Parent booth at KidFest this weekend for a chance to win amazing prizes! – January 24, 2014
- Photo Fun at Wordstock 2013 – October 31, 2013