PLEASE NOTE THIS GIVEAWAY ENDED DECEMBER 12, 2011
From Antarctic penguins to Swedish Dala horses to English toy soldiers, there are plenty of surprises to discover at Pittock Mansion’s new Christmas Around The World exhibit. This year, more than 100 volunteer decorators have transformed the Mansion’s 23 rooms, hallways, and grand staircase into a multi-cultural winter wonderland. Now through January 2, visitors of all ages may explore historic holiday customs and traditions from across the globe including dazzling decorations featuring cherubs, gnomes, kimonos, and hundreds of ornaments adorning more than 15 festive trees. In addition, community musicians will play regularly in the Mansion’s Music Room, shoppers will find unique holiday decorations and gifts in the Museum Store, and children may enjoy counting flags from different countries sprinkled throughout the museum, or enter to win a giant stocking stuffed with toys and goodies.
“This year, we wanted to offer a holiday experience for families that’s as educational as it is amusing and beautiful,” remarked Executive Director Marta Bones. “The Mansion’s volunteer decorators have been planning this marvelous exhibit with Patti Larkin, our Curator & Programs Manager, since last spring. It amazes me that they were able to put up such a brilliant display in two days, and makes me wonder if they had extra help from Santa’s elves.”
Pittock Mansion will be open closed on Christmas Day, and open on New Year’s Day.
Admission is free for members, $9 for adults, $8 for seniors (65+), $6 for youth (ages 6 – 18), and free for children ages 5 and younger.
Free shuttle service, which will bring visitors directly to the Mansion’s doors, will be available from the PSU Parking Garage #3 December 17 through January 1.
About Pittock Mansion:
Constructed between 1909 and 1914 in Portland’s West Hills by Oregon pioneers Henry and Georgiana Pittock, Pittock Mansion is a meticulously preserved architectural landmark that symbolizes Portland’s transformation from a small lumber town into a bustling city. Home to the Pittocks and their descendants until 1958, the Mansion was nearly destroyed in the early 1960s when plans surfaced to turn the site over to developers. Spurred by community activists to preserve the historic home, City of Portland officials bought the estate in 1964. The house opened to the public as a museum in 1965. Today, Pittock Mansion Society, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, and Portland Parks and Recreation collaborate to operate the museum and the surrounding 46-acre public park.
Pittock Mansion is located two miles west of downtown off West Burnside at 3229 N.W. Pittock Drive.
Pittock Mansion is open from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily. (Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and January 3 – 31.)
Free parking is available at Pittock Acres Park.
Free Holiday Shuttle Service:
Free shuttle service will be available from the PSU Parking Garage #3 December 17 through January 1. Parking in PSU’s parking structure will be free to Pittock Mansion visitors for the first three hours. The parking machines in parking structure #3 (entrance on SW 12th Avenue or SW 13th just south of SW Market), will list three choices: 1. Daily Parking, 2. Hourly Parking, or 3. Pittock Shuttle. Riders should select the 3 for Pittock Shuttle, and then enter coupon code 62782 in the keypad to obtain the free parking permit.
- Pick-up times from the PSU parking garage will be every hour between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Shuttle service will be provided by a 12-passenger van, which will have a window sign identifying it as the shuttle to Pittock Mansion.
- The shuttle vans are non-accessible (i.e. unable to load wheelchairs on and off automatically). However, TriMet offers some door-to-door neighborhood shuttle service through their Ride Connection program. Find out more at http://www.trimet.org/access/
- Shuttle vans may have extra cargo space for strollers, but do not have children’s seats for transportation.
- Return trips will depart the Mansion on the half hour with the last departure leaving the Mansion at 4:30 p.m.
This eco-friendly and budget-friendly option is being offered for the fourth year, thanks to a partnership with America’s Hub World Tours. For details, contact Pittock Mansion. Please call ahead to confirm shuttle service during inclement weather.
Pittock Mansion is partially wheelchair and stroller accessible, via the ground floor entrance on the right (East) side of the home. Volunteers and staff members will assist visitors in using the Mansion’s original 1914 Otis elevator to access the 3 floors open for touring. Due to the limited size of the Mansion elevator, motorized wheelchairs and scooters may not fit inside it. Visitors are welcome to borrow one of two wheelchairs, which are available on a first come, first serve basis.
We are so excited to be giving away three family four packs of tickets to visit the Pittock Mansion’s Christmas Around The World Exhibit! Details on entering below.
Simply leave a comment below telling us why you would love to share this experience with your family, why you love the Pittock Mansion or PDX Kids Calendar! We do read all the comments and, though it doesn’t effect the random choice of the winner, entertaining comments are very much appreciated!
Want Extra Entries?
Really want to win? Here are a few ways to get extra entries? Do any (or all) of the following and let us know by leaving a separate comment below. You will get one additional entry for eachseparate comment about the following:
- Sign up for our weekly newsletters (current subscribers can simply comment here that you are a subscriber)
- ‘Like’ PDX Kids Calendar on Facebook then comment here (current fans can simply comment here that you are a fan) (You do not need to be fan to enter this contest, however, and Facebook in no way endorses, supports, or is associated with this giveaway.)
- ‘Like’ Pittock Mansion on Facebook then comment here (current fans can simply comment here that you are a fan) (You do not need to be fan to enter this contest, however, and Facebook in no way endorses, supports, or is associated with this giveaway.)
- Post a link on YOUR Facebook wall linking to our page (simply update your status with something like “Have you seen @PDX Kids Calendar? It’s the best place to find stuff to do with the kiddos and they are doing an amazing giveaway this week … “). When you enter the “@” sign and start typing our name a drop down box will appear and you can click our name to create a link to our page. PLEASE NOTE: You do have to be our “fan” on FB for this to work … then be sure to leave a comment here.
- Follow PDX Kids Calendar on Twitter then leave a comment here.
- Tweet about this giveaway then leave a comment here.
- Tell your friends about the giveaway and then leave a comment here.
Only comments on this post will be counted (not those made on Facebook or Twitter). Winner drawn at random. Giveaway begins on Friday December 9, 2011 and ends 11:59 PM PST on Monday December 12, 2011. Only entries with valid emails will be counted. IF YOU REGISTER YOUR COMMENT THROUGH FACEBOOK, YAHOO, TWITTER ETC PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS VISIBLE ON YOUR PROFILE! Best way to guarantee we can contact you if you win is to create a “Disqus” account. Entries valid within the US only.
Thanks and good luck!
**PLEASE NOTE** Commenting feature may not available on some phones. To enter on your iPad you must create a Disqus account to post. If you have any trouble commenting/entering, you can send your submissions to comments(at)pdxkidscalendar.com and they will be input by us.
PLEASE NOTE THIS GIVEAWAY ENDED DECEMBER 12, 2011